Michael Jackson suddenly passed away 8 years ago (on June 25th, 2009), leaving the world of music in shock. Following this tragic event, vocal group M-pact wrote a tribute to one of their inspiring genius, called “An ode to Michael Jackson”. Britt Quentin – part of M-pact then – also wrote a short text.
Michael Jackson always inspired many artists, from the time he started singing and certainly again for several coming decades. So his death was a shock for everyone, and some of his admirers paid tributes in different ways. Then, M-pact chose to wrote a short tribute on their blog. To this end, each member of the acapella group shared their 5 favorite MJ songs. They also added an explanation of how the King of Pop influenced their lives and career. Below is the short tribute from Britt Quentin.
“As a young black lad who always sang really high, I grew up constantly being compared to Michael – and I hated it! I wanted to be my own voice/sound like ME, not like anybody else. When people told me, “wow, you sound like Michael Jackson”, I would cringe. As I got older and secretly started listening to his music, I began to understand that the man was truly a genius. As a young kid, his voice was as mature as people two/three times his age. And as he grew into adulthood, his performance abilities and artistry have made me realize that, in my own adult years, I should have been honored and humbled when people would compare the two of us… they still do… and I am.
My top 5 favorite MJ songs are:
1. PYT – I’ve always loved this groove, and the concept behind the lyric
2. Burn this disco out – not a hit of his, but one of my favorites: great horn riffs, and I love a good vamp!! (good job Quincy!!)
3. I can’t help it – again, not a hit of his, but… he sounds great on this tune, and it’s a totally different vibe for him. I’ll probably cover this song some day on a solo record (or some OTHER song on “Off the Wall”)
4. Remember the time – LOVE THIS TUNE. MJ has always had great BGVs on his records, that he usually sang himself. The video is fantastic too
5. Rock with you – I sing in a cover band that plays this tune a lot, and I use to think it was a cheesy attempt at pop singer trying to do something too “R & B – sounding” for his general style, but… wow, what a great tune it is, and Mike sounds great on it – and again – those BGVs!!!!! Can they be any tighter???? I sing a lot of MJ tunes, being in a cover band and all, but…this is my favorite to sing, by far.
Click here to read the entire post “An ode to Michael Jackson”. You can find accounts written by other M-pact members from that time.